Neurological Physical Therapy
Table Of Contents
What Is Neurological Physical Therapy?
Neurological therapy (also called neurorehabilitation physiotherapy or neuro rehab physical therapy) is an individualized set of procedures and sessions with a specialist, the ultimate goal of which is to reduce the symptoms of neurological diseases, increase mobility and improve the general well-being of patients.
By utilizing specialized neurological physical therapy exercises and techniques, a neurology physiotherapist works to restore movement and cognitive abilities. It’s not just therapy; it’s a pathway to a more independent and fulfilling life.
What Conditions Can Benefit from Neurological Rehab?
When an individual experiences a neurological disorder, be it through injury or illness, various physical and mental challenges may arise. A neurology physiotherapist works closely with patients to create a customized plan including neurological physical therapy exercises that target those unique challenges. It’s about empowering the patient to regain control, enhance mobility, and foster independence.
Below we have listed several diseases and nervous system conditions for which neurological physiotherapy can have a positive effect as part of a comprehensive treatment.
- Stroke. After a stroke, people often have difficulties with movement (in only one half of the body or the whole body), speech, and cognitive functions. Neurorehabilitation physical therapy can help restore mobility to the body and re-learn how to perform everyday tasks.
- Parkinson’s Disease. This chronic disease affects movement control. A physical therapist can suggest specific exercises and techniques to slow the progression of the disease and alleviate symptoms.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI). These injuries can cause a wide range of effects, from minor loss of sensation in the hands, feet, or face to serious memory or speech problems. Physical therapy can help mitigate the negative effects of injuries and make everyday life easier.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. These often result in loss of sensation and the ability to move. Neurological physical therapy exercises are used in this case to develop strength, coordination, and mobility, allowing patients to feel independent again.
- Multiple sclerosis (MS). It has many neurological symptoms. Neuro rehab physical therapy can address these through personalized exercises that enhance mobility, balance, and daily functioning.
- Other Neurological Conditions. Even lesser-known neurological disorders can benefit from this tailored approach. Whether it’s rare diseases or nerve-related ailments, a neurology physiotherapist has the expertise to help.
From commonly known disorders like strokes and spinal cord injuries to less prevalent neurological diseases, the scope of neurological rehab is vast and full of potential. By offering personalized plans, skilled therapists ensure that each patient receives the care they need.
How Does the Process Work?
What Interventions Are Provided with Neurological Physical Therapy?
Interventions in neurological rehabilitation and physical therapy are diverse and tailored to the individual's condition and needs. Some common interventions include:
- Balance and Coordination Training. Targeted exercises to improve stability and movement coordination.
- Strength Training. Building muscle to support affected areas and enhance overall function.
- Functional Mobility Training. Focusing on daily activities like walking, climbing stairs, or even eating.
- Adaptive Equipment Training. Learning to use devices like wheelchairs, walkers, or braces.
- Pain Management. Techniques to control pain associated with neurological disorders.
- Cognitive Rehabilitation. Addressing cognitive deficits like memory or problem-solving.
- Aquatic Therapy. Utilizing water's properties to facilitate movement and reduce stress on joints.
These interventions provide a comprehensive approach to improving the lives of those undergoing neurological physical therapy, offering a personalized, patient-centered plan for recovery and well-being.
Your Health Is Our Priority!
Take the first step towards recovery from a neurological illness or injury – contact us and we can explain how therapy works and how it can help you. Don’t let neurological disorders define your life! Our experienced neurological physical therapists are here to support you every step of the way. Let’s work together to regain control of movement and sensation. Call us today and let the road to recovery begin with neurological physical therapy!
Proudly Serving Colorado
improve the quality of life of our patients.